We have an exciting opportunity to join our growing business based in Cheshire. We are recruiting for an in-house Legal Manager, reporting directly to our CEO.
This in-house legal manager role will see you look after and manage a range of legal matters for the group in conjunction with various external suppliers covering multiple jurisdictions. You will oversee all legal aspects of the business to support risk-management within a growing, entrepreneurial organisation that operates across multiple jurisdictions.
As an innovative and entrepreneurial consumer goods company with a start-up culture, we are looking for, highly organised tenacious people that can operate in an autonomous environment to help us deliver our ambitious plans.
If you are looking for a fast-paced dynamic environment, but with a relaxed, fun culture then this is the place for you. We have excellent on-site facilities including games room, fully stocked kitchen, pizza Fridays and regular social events. This is a great opportunity to play a key role as we continue to grow from strength to strength.
Seatriever designs, manufactures and distributes unique, innovative consumer goods products. Established in 2007, our award-winning business has offices in Cheshire and China. We are a creative, entrepreneurial business that works with major retailers across the UK, USA, Europe and beyond including, Walmart, Target, Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s.
Specific accountabilities are as follows:
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements with customers, licensors and suppliers based in various jurisdictions.
- Advise internal stakeholders on accurate interpretation of contracts and other legal documents.
- Overseeing the company’s brand protection strategy to seek to protect/enforce the company’s intellectual property portfolio as cost effectively as possible. Knowledge of e-commerce platforms globally, as well as their IP misuse reporting procedures is desirable but not essential. Conducting online and offline investigations and develop / maintaining infringer databases as well as drafting and preparing cease and desist letters, liaising with external legal counsel and our online brand protection partner to protect the brand.
- Support internal stakeholders in relation to the Group’s sustainability goals, including review and advising on marketing material for compliance with Green Claims Code.
- Legal research to identify relevant legal developments affecting the Company, and incorporate them into the Group’s practices, monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment, and taking appropriate action in conjunction with wider stakeholders.
- Assist with risk management, governance and compliance across the group, including acting as DPO for the group and managing GDPR compliance.
- Working with engineering, products and studio teams to understand new product development across the business and to evaluate the potential commercial benefit of each development and where appropriate instructing external suppliers to apply to protect such ideas/designs through the registration of intellectual property rights.
- Managing the company’s intellectual property portfolio with support from external patent and trade mark attorneys.
- Supporting HR function revising employment contracts and consultancy agreements.
- Managing external suppliers with various dispute resolution activities across multiple jurisdictions.
- Appointing and managing external legal advisors in accordance with agreed budgets.
- Supporting with insurance renewals and claims in conjunction with external brokers and loss adjusters and maintaining financial reports relating to external legal expenditure in accordance with agreed budgets and reviewing value of IP held and impact on P&L/BS.
To be successful:
- You should be a paralegal, legal executive, contracts or junior solicitor with the ability to manage a range of legal issues and several external legal suppliers worldwide. You must be able to work confidently and effectively both internally and externally with good project management skills.
- Have a law degree and either have or be working towards LPC/SQE/CILEX
- Have significant proven experience in a legal role either within a law firm, or within a commercial in-house environment
- You can expect to enjoy a good variety of work with particular emphasis on commercial contracts (B2B), IP and dispute resolution. Experience of brand protection would be advantageous but is not essential.
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a real success story and work in an innovative and entrepreneurial environment.
In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.